Thursday, December 20, 2007

Portable Firefox

Since Mozilla Firefox 3 is still in beta, I wanted to test it out without it potentially destroying my existing profile. Also, if there is anything that would block my everyday usage, I wanted my old profile to still work. So today I downloaded Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition 3 Beta 2. The first thing that jumped out at me was that since I was copied over my profile and I'm using Personas, things mostly look the same. The URL bar is a little bothersome when I'm typing in a URL, but I think that will just take some getting used-to. The tab-bar has a thick gray line under it so I will probably have to play with my userChrome.css again.

I have 9 extensions which are not yet compatible, though I know that several of them were tagged as ok for previous alpha and beta versions of Firefox 3. Unfortunately one of the disabled addons on Nightly Tester Tools, so I can't mark the others as compatible.

I can live without the other extensions for a short time, but before I can switch to Firefox 3, I need IE tab to be updated. I have to use IE for several intranet sites at work and this provides them seamlessly (except for the one website that seems to detect Firefox before IE Tag kicks in).

I haven't really been bothered by Firefox's memory usage, but I'm happy to see the recent progress.

No comments: