Friday, August 14, 2009

Locales

Not that disk space is much of a premium any more, but one thing that bothers me is when software insists on installing translations for every locale. When I used gentoo, I frequently had to run localepurge after doing an installation so it would clean up the languages that I don't speak. Many installers, regardless of platform, just go ahead and fill up your hard drive with language packs. I don't know why they don't have a install-time option to pick in the first place.

2 comments:

Simon Geard said...

You never know when you might find those locales handy, though. I've lately been learning Spanish in preparation for an overseas trip, and to aid that, I've switched my desktop to a Spanish locale. Takes some getting used to, but worth the effort...

Unknown said...

Easier distribution, lame but works...